Mega Industrial Park At Dholera SIR
Several mega industrial parks form an essential feature of Dholera SIR which shall be meant to strategically accommodate the industrial units of the region and also ensure excellent connectivity of such parks with the main region. The mega industrial park shall be developed for industrial and logistic use and shall be planned in three phases, each one of which shall take about a decade to get saturated. The phase 1 of mega industrial park development was chosen amongst the early bird projects of Dholera SIR as it is expected to act as a growth propeller for the region and shall be instrumental in attracting anchor industries. The industrial parks are imperative to create employment opportunities which in turn shall strengthen the economy of the region and attract urban population to move to Dholera SIR.
M/s Halcrow, UK has been appointed to carry out feasibility study for the Dholera SIR region falling under DMIC project. As a definitive step towards feasibility study, M/s Halcrow has begun identifying suitable locations for development of such mega industrial parks with Dholera SIR. The main objectives of phase 1 of development are to identify the potential risk and freeze upon the best suited implementation framework. It shall also help identify market interests and investors trends and collect appropriate data for lenders, bidders and investors. It shall further be pivotal in gauging the fund requirement and thus help prepare a detailed financial statement for the project.
The total area allotted for development of overall industrial parks in Dholera SIR is 10,000 hectares of which Industrial Mega Park Phase 1 shall be developed across 3,000 hectares gross land area. The market requirement of land for industrial purpose in Dholera isestimated as 9,500 hectares over the next three decades. The planners have added 1,000 hectares gross land area for construction of common infrastructure and utilities such as roads and kept aside 10,500 hectares land for industrial purposes.The industrial and logistic zone is expected to meet the industrial requirement of the region for the next 30 years and in the meanwhile should be able to generate 3,13,000 base jobs and 8,00,0000 overall employment opportunities. Such development shall serve as the economic backbone of DSIR and act a catalyst to its tremendous growth prospect.
The phases of the project are divided as below:-
Land used for development of phase 1 of the mega industrial park shall mainly encompass government owned land so that no delay occurs in land acquisition. The land allotted for this phase lies east of the expressway and is further sub divided to accommodate the 8 targeted sectors that shall form a part of DSIR industries. The development of this industrial phase intentionally coincides with development of phase 1 of the township area which shall create a perfect harmony between the two and be mutually beneficial. This phase of mega industrial park is sizable enough to cater to the next 10 years of industrial needs of the region.
Similar to phase 1, this phase shall also accommodate the 8 industrial sectors planned for the region and shall spread further east of the expressway and also to the centre and south of the Dholera SIR region. Phase 2 is expected to play a crucial role in the region’s growth and shall be an extension of phase 1 of the project.
This phase is planned in the south western area of DSIR and shall be farthest to the main city. Nevertheless, it shall be close to the phase 3 of township area and also shall be well connected to the rest of the region.
To ensure that the area is well connected and growth of the region takes off as planned, the government has based the spatial strategy for the industrial park on seven crucial principles:-
- The main industrial lands shall only be located on either sides of the expressway to ensure easy and speedy connectivity of the industries with DSIR, DMIC and important ports.
- Initial phase of the project shall mainly be planned on government land to ensure that the first anchor industries do not face any hassles or delay in land allotment for their set up.
- To give the easy access to the industries from the highway and also to ensure minimum spillage of traffic carrying goods vehicles in residential and township areas, grade separated junctions shall be built on expressways.
- All the industrial areas shall be smartly linked to each other through a box grid of collector and arterial roads. Such box grid shall also facilitate rapid movement of public transport that shall carry the industrial workforce to and from the mega parks to their place of residence.
- Railway access shall be extended to the industrial areas to serve twin purpose: Maximize rail based freight earnings and also provide direct railway access to important industrial areas.
- The centre of all industrial areas shall have a logistics zone and inland container port with access to railways and port facilities.
- The industrial land shall be divided into systematic mega zones which are not too large and therefore easy to manage. This shall also ease accessibilityto such zones for the residential and commercial areas and also help the authorities in planning the development of each zone in a phased manner.